Redeployment Is Not An Option

Oh No He Didn’t!

There was an incident at NukeBoy2′s school the other day that has me upset.  His class had a substitute teacher who thought it a wise idea to attach clothespins to the earlobes of the boys for acting up.  Regardless of how badly the kids were acting up, this is certainly not the appropriate response.  Why did he think this was an acceptable way to deal with an unruly class?  Why did he just punish the boys?  Why would he put himself in the position of dealing with large numbers of children when he obviously has no desire or patience to do it?  I’ve had issues trying to get the response that I think is appropriate from the school principal and the school districts’ HR department and I’m pondering what my next step should be.  I’ve been thinking of several options and I have a pretty good idea of what it will be, but my question to you is: What would you do if it was your kid?

Launch It:
  • Google Bookmarks
  • NewsVine
  • Slashdot
  • Sphinn

12 Responses Subscribe to comments

1. Eric Williams

Since no permanent harm was likely done, I’d probably content myself with agitating for a policy change forbidding corporal punishment in the future. If nothing changed, I’d make the issue very public and shame the school into taking action.

(NukeDad) That’s the thing; corporal punishment isn’t allowed now, and if it was, the clothespins wouldn’t be on the list. I just want someone to assure me that this piece of crap won’t be substituting in ANY school, not just ours.

Mar 11, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

2. Trish

My next step would probably be to attend the next school board meeting and bring it to their attention. You’d need to have a clear idea, going in, of what you want them to do. If they don’t deliver, my next step would be a letter from my lawyer and whatever groups are appropriate (ACLU?) to have this addressed. I’d also probably mention the media along the way to see if that moves things along. Good luck, hon – this shit is never easy.

(NukeDad) I’m definitely taking it higher up, and the thought of the media has crossed my mind also-I’m not looking to ruin this guys life, but he needs to be held accountable. All I want is an assurance that he won’t be teaching anymore, anywhere. I hear the WWE is looking for new wrestlers-maybe he can take his show on the road.

Mar 11, 2010 @ 3:54 pm

3. Tara R.

I would complain first to the principal (which it sounds like you did). If that didn’t get an appropriate response, I would take it to your school board rep (if the board is set up by zones), and then to the board chairman and superintendent.

Clothes pins? Totally inappropriate, and that he only targeted the boys… second strike. That he didn’t also punish the girls says to me he knew it wasn’t the right thing to do.

Have you spoken with any of the parents of the other boys involved? Perhaps a united front would be more effective. It may be the other parents are unaware of what happened.

(NukeDad) I’ve talked to one other parent, and I know that she called the principal also. I may have to dig up the Valentines Day class roster and start digging for some phone numbers.

Tara R.´s last blog ..It’s official… winter is over! My ComLuv Profile

Mar 11, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

4. Tom

If I got no traction from the school principal, I’d be taking it to the superintendent, and on up the chain of command until I am heard and the situation properly addressed.

And I would make my case in person.

And if I couldn’t be heard by the bureaucracy, then I’d take it to the media. Local news works wonders in cases like this.

Good luck to you. Don’t let them get away with it.

(NukeDad) The saddest thing is, Tom, that I know the reason they won’t answer my questions is because they’re afraid of a lawsuit from the sub. How’s that for irony? They’re more afraid of the perp than they are of the parents! I think they’re hoping it all just blows over and goes away, but I’m not going to let it-this guy has no business being near ANYONE’S kids. Everyone likes to kick the can down the road and let someone else take care of the problem; well, someone kicked the can into my yard and I’ll be the one to throw it away.

Tom´s last blog ..Kenya My ComLuv Profile

Mar 11, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

5. PJ Mullen

Wow, that is just too strange for me to comprehend. Is this substitute teacher stuck in 1950? Have you gone to the school’s superintendent or the school board itself? I’d try to round up other parents and hammer them as a group if you can. Other wise Action News makes sense to me. That teacher has some nerve pulling that nonsense.

(NukeDad) I’ve talked to one, I’m trying to get a hold of some others. I don’t want to get the news involved, but if I have to, I will.

PJ Mullen´s last blog ..Where we’re going we don’t need roads My ComLuv Profile

Mar 11, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

6. SurprisedMom

Clothespins on the ears is totally inappropriate and targeting just boys just as much so. I would be stark raving mad.

Like the others, I would take your concerns and anger up the chain of command. I would definitely take the issue to the up with the school board. Why? Because as a former reporter, I know that the media attends those school board meetings and this is the kind of issue that reporters write about. You wouldn’t have to seek out the media, they would come to you.

This needs to be written about because the embarrassment factor alone would probably bring about a policy change. Too bad the principal didn’t take your complaint seriously enough.

As for the substitute, he should never step foot in another classroom again. Is he a certified teacher, or have any training in education? Is he a former full-time, bitter teacher taking his anger out on students? Sounds like it.

Good luck to you.

(NukeDad) That’s what’s most upsetting-they won’t tell me anything; it’s like the parents have no rights at all. Your last statement is all I’m looking for: a guarantee that this idiot won’t be allowed around kids again.

SurprisedMom´s last blog ..Happy Birthday Mom! My ComLuv Profile

Mar 11, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

7. seashore

I’ve seen some bad subs, but this one takes the cake. Principals here have no control over what subs are in the district, but they do have control over what subs they allow in their schools. So, talking to him/her may not get you the results you want

If I were you, I would park my butt at the school board offices. Here we have a department in itself that is responsible for the hiring and placing of subs. This is where I would be. I would bring reading material, as it may take awhile to be seen.

I would also talk to the classroom teacher. Odds are she/he doesn’t want that sub around either and may know more about the situation and possibly be able to share some info, or at the least file another formal complaint. Good luck.

(NukeDad) They’ve already made the decision that the sub will not return to our school, my issue is; I don’t want him going to ANY school.

seashore´s last blog ..A Morning Adventure My ComLuv Profile

Mar 12, 2010 @ 7:07 am

8. Keith Wilcox

Hmmm, tough to say what the next step would be. I’ve been told I’m really annoying when it comes to getting what I want. If I get blown off, my method is to get obnoxious. I call about every 10 minutes or I write a sternly worded letter every day. Sometimes, if it’s something like what you’re describing I use threats about exposing all their ineptitude on my blog and SEOing the heck out of the school district. I buy all Name URLs of the people who aren’t giving me what I want too.

(NukeDad) I’ve purposely taken a few days off from the issue just to cool down and clear my head. I’m going to the top of the ladder; if that doesn’t work, then I’ll have to take the next step.

Keith Wilcox´s last blog ..Extreme Dog Houses My ComLuv Profile

Mar 12, 2010 @ 11:34 am

9. Stacey

I read the first few responses and then scrolled down. Dont go to the schoolboard, they wont listen. Dont go to the superintendent, he wont see you anyway. If you really want to scare the principal, go to pupil services at HR. This is where parents will get real help with complaints. You will also put the principal on notice because they WILL do something about it. As in, they will personally contact the principal and ask, “why is this parent coming to us? Why didnt you handle this on your own?” Being that he was a sub, they will probably just release him from his “contract.” Nonetheless, no other children will have to suffer because of it.

(NukeDad) I talked to HR the other day and she told me action had been taken, but wouldn’t tell me what it was. I understand he won’t be coming back to our school, I’m trying to make sure he doesn’t go back to any school.

Mar 12, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

10. WeaselMomma

You’ve already gone through channels without a satisfactory response. It’s media time.

(NukeDad) Man o man, you won’t be happy until I’m going toe to toe with Diane Sawyer, will you? :) I’m beginning to see that you may be right.

WeaselMomma´s last blog ..A Peek Inside My Head My ComLuv Profile

Mar 13, 2010 @ 7:47 am

11. Surfer Jay

Wow. I would raise hell with office visits and phone calls everyday untill the guy got fired.

(NukeDad) He was a sub, so hopefully they’ve banned him from all schools, not just ours. Still trying to get solid answers from somebody.

Surfer Jay´s last blog ..Runaway Shopping Cart My ComLuv Profile

Mar 18, 2010 @ 12:43 am

12. Papa K

Well. I’m not really sure. I’d probably teach my kid Kung Fu so he could kick that teachers ass right through the blackboard.

Seriously… I would be pissed that my kid got in trouble but I wouldn’t want the teacher to be responsible for that punishment. Let me put the clothespins on their ears… not some jackass teacher.

I’m kidding… I wouldn’t put clothespins on his ears…

(NukeDad) The guy obviously doesn’t have kids of his own, and if he does, he should be in jail.

Mar 19, 2010 @ 10:17 pm